Wednesday 22 May 2013

Top 10 Diary of a Stand-Up Comedian blog posts!

Diary of a stand-up comedian Entry #55
So following on from my not-so-huge bombshell about not having any plans to re-enter the world of stand-up comedy any time soon, I didn't want my (potential) last post in the Diary of a stand-up comedian series to end on a sour note.

So instead I decided to look back with on that 12-months of my life and select my favourite blog posts about my time on the open mic stand-up comedy scene. So here you go - I hope you enjoy my...

Top 10 Favourite Open Mic Comedy Posts

9 SEPTEMBER 2011: DIARY ENTRY #34
1. The Return of the Dwarf and a fond farewell to Openmic Matt at The Railway!
My all-time favourite venue to gig was The Railway in Streatham Common. I met some great people and comedians there, and of course the legendary promoter Openmic Matt. This was the last night Matt promoted at The Railway and probably the best.

8 DECEMBER 2011: DIARY ENTRY #50
2. Close, but no cigar... or a winners medal!
After my 50th gig and first 12-months on the circuit, I finished runner-up in the final of Great Comedy Night's Golden Jester comedy competition. It was a great way to end the year, but I would ultimately decide that I wouldn't continue pursuing a stand-up career.

5 OCTOBER 2011: DIARY ENTRY #40
3. Top night at Dirty Dicks!
I had been performing for 10 months and had just got through to the semi-finals of the Golden Jester. I was starting to get down a good 5-minute set, and then one night at Dirty Dicks it all clicked into place and luckily the night was filmed so I can always look back and think I did alright!

15 SEPTEMBER 2010: DIARY ENTRY #3
4. What a blast!
Although I didn't start to regularly appear on the open mic comedy circuit until January 2011, my first official gig was four months earlier. I took a big crowd down to the Cavendish Arms in Stockwell and thought I had made. I'd learn soon enough comedy wasn't that easy!

8 JUNE 2012: DIARY ENTRY #53
5. Back with a bang baby!
Three months after I had performed my last stand-up gig, I was asked by a friend if I was take part in a charity night she was hosting in London Bridge. Professional comedian Rob Beckett was on the bill, and it turned out to be one of my most favourite gigs ever!

8 APRIL 2011: DIARY ENTRY #13
6. RIP Steven Scaffardi - the night I died on stage
As every comedian will tell you, there are going to be nights when you bomb on stage. The first - and worst - time it happened to me would come in my 10th gig. It was awful but I learned something important that night - don't get blind drunk and go on stage!

15 SEPTEMBER 2012: DIARY ENTRY #55
7. Open mic comedians - where are they now? The girls
Gemma Beagley encouraged me to go down to the Cavendish Arms to give comedy a go, and she is still going strong on the circuit, along with some other very funny laides I met along the way such as Harriett Kemsley and Naomi Hefter.

16 DECEMBER 2011: DIARY ENTRY #51
8. The Next Big Thing?
After just a week of deciding I was going to take a break from stand-up comedy, I found myself taking part in the Next Big Thing corporate entertainment talent conest in the bright lights of the West End, and I only ended up advancing to the semi-finals of the bloody thing!

14 SEPTEMBER 2012: DIARY ENTRY #54
9. Diary of a stand-up comedian... two years on
I like this post because I think it sums up my time spent on the open mic stand-up comedy circuit. It's not easy getting up on that stage, especially on nights when drunk Irish hecklers label you parts of the female anatomy, but I look back fondly on those memories and wouldn't change them for the world!

16 SEPTEMBER 2012: DIARY ENTRY #56
10. Open mic comedians - where are they now? The boys
I couldn't give the girls a shout without giving one to the boys now could I?! I'm not surprised to see so many of them doing well, and it was difficult to limit it to just five - maybe I'll post another 'Where are they now?' in the coming weeks...

No comments :

Post a Comment