Thursday 5 May 2011

What a night!

Oyster card, diary of a stand-up comedian
Diary of a stand-up comedian Entry #16
What had to be the worst gig I have done in my short comedy career at The Railway one month ago, now seems like a very distant memory after the success of last nights gig in Lambeth North.

A few weeks back I got invited to take part in this charity event organised by Ashley Cowan; a musician I met at The Railway who sings a very funny song about God smoking weed! It was a fundraising event at The Horse pub in aid of raising money for the people of Japan after the terrible earthquake.

I was one of two comedians on, with the very funny American Elliot Lerner also performing, and I don't think the two five minute sets I did could have gone any better. It makes such a difference when you have a packed room full of people who are actually there for a good time. You would be surprised how many people come along to open mic nights with the attitude to try and not laugh at the comedians! It doesn't make any sense to me.

The only moment of concern last night was when I did my gag about not having a car, but having an Oyster Card instead. I got a bit carried away bantering with the audience and at one point I threw my Oyster Card into the crowd. It was then thrown back at me but I had no idea where it went! I kept asking if anyone knew where it was as I had just paid £105 to renew it, but the audience just seemed to think it was all part of the act and simply laughed!

I'm pleased to say I found the Oyster Card in the end and I even won the raffle! Happy days!

No comments :

Post a Comment