Wednesday 20 February 2013

Wax On, Wax Off - Whatever happened to the Karate Kid?

One of the greatest films of my childhood was The Karate Kid. I can remember the excitement of being picked up from school when I was around six or seven and my dad breaking the news to me that he had rented the film from the local video shop.

This was way before the days of digital downloads, DVDs, and even Blockbuster video stores! Our video shop back then doubled up as an Off Licence and only stocked one copy of every film in their shop, so for dad to manage to get hold of a copy of the newly released Hollywood hit was a huge achievement.

Things were never the same for me after watching that film; it changed my life forever. That film gave me the strength to take up karate and helped me stand up to my own bullies in the playground.

Unfortunately I also started hanging out with an old Chinese guy, which didn't really work out. The police and the courts got involved and things were said that neither party meant, and eventually it all got really messy, and it's a part of my life I'd rather not revisit...

Anyhow... I'd always wondered what happened to the film's star Ralph Macchio. I know after he'd crane-kicked the hell out of Johnny he turned up in a couple of sequels, but apart from that and My Cousin Vinny, where the hell did Daniel Larusso go?

Finally after a bit of digging around on the internet, I finally found some answers...

No comments :

Post a Comment